Saturday 18 September 2010

All about Degus

A Degu is a small Chilean rodent that has gradially become a hugely popular pet. You can find them in most pet shops in London these days and most rescue and rehoming centres too. So what makes the Degu so popular and why are so many of them ending up as unwanted pets?

I have a lot of personal experience with Degus. I owned 3 males that I rehomed from someone that was no longer able to look after them. I have also looked after countless Degus for friends while they holiday.

Degus are small grown Chilean rodents that are closely related to Chinchillas and Guinea Pigs. They are sociable animals that live in groups in the wild. They are prey to ground predators as well as birds of prey. They are excellent burrowers and will work together to dig their burrows.

Degus do make good pets but they are not the easiest animals to look after. They look very cute and appealing in pet shops and their obvious intelligence makes them a popular choice.

Degus do have their negative points. They have a very concentrated urine that can ruin carpets and any other soft surface they urinate on. They can be destructive and will pull in and chew things if they can reach them. They can be fast if not tame and occasionally one will bite if it is sufficiently frightened. They require a special diet and do have some health problems that they are more likely to suffer from than other rodents.

The good points of Degus are their charm and intelligence, their lack of odout and the entertaining noises they make.

If you plan on keeping Degus get more than one Degu and unless you want to breed them, which I wouldn't advise as there are too many unloved Degus out there needing homes, get a pair or group of unrelated females or males.

Degus must have a proper diet. Failure to provided it is likely to result in the Degu getting Diabetes. The Degu spends its time grazing on grass with a low nutritional value in the wild. It cannot digest simple sugars properly and needs a special Degu food available in pet shops and constant access to a good quality hay such as Timothy hay. You can give your Degu treats such as grass from your garden, dandelion leaves or clover. Any treats are just that and should only be given in moderation.

Degus also require constant access to fresh water from a water bottle. Unfiltered water is what they need as filtered water has some important minerals removed during the filtration process. Degus need these minerals. There is a mineral in fresh water that makes Degu teeth orange and if your degu doesn't have orange teeth this is a sign it is not healthy.

Another important thing is a sand bath. Degus require a container full of sand to roll around in. This is how they keep their fur clean and prevent too much grease building up. The ideal situation is to have a bath available for them all the time but at least a couple of times a week is vital.

Degus will need a big cage and things to do. They will run in exercise wheels and the complete plastic ones are the best as the ones with treads can be dangerous. A multi level cage with places to hide, dig and climb is ideal for degus.

Degus that are cared for properly can still have problems. The most common is cateracts. These are white growths inside they eyes that ultimately leave the animal blind. There is no cure and these can often appear in Degus, probably because of inbreeding.

One of the degus less endearing habits is that they eat their own pooh. They do this so they can digest all the complex carbs in their diet. It is normal and is also done by other pets like hamsters and rabbits.

My three wise men were rehomed from someone that just didn't have the time to keep cleaning them out and handling them. They were tame when they came to me and quickly learned when they were going to be fed. I noticed that they had a pecking order. The same Degu would always eat first. He turned out to be the one that lived the longest and I named him Chatterbox becuase he was always making noises at the others and at me too. Degu disputes were always solved by squeaks and I never saw any biting.

Degus can live 8 years or more. My rescued Degus were not young and after a year and a half I was left with just Chatterbox. He looked bored and depressed in his cage so I had him out all day on a chair and only put him in his cage when I had to go out. He slept in his cage too but was always so keen to get out and spend time with me in the morning.

He used to sleep on me. He would wake up turn over click his teeth then go back to sleep. I never found out what this meant. I guess I don't speak Degu. He also had a funny habit of dropping his pooh from the top of the chair at a certain spot where it would bounce off a tin and make a noise. He seemed to find some amusement in this.

When he did eventually pass away it was a gradual decline into old age. He slept more and more and ate less and less and one morning he wasn't there waiting to come out as always and then I knew he was gone forever.

It was a very special thing when the first thing I ever sold in my shop was a magnet featuring a photo of my beloved Degu. Since then I have also sold a greeting card with his photo on. It is very special to me that I can share my memories of him in this way.

Here are some things I made featuring my little Degu Chatterbox, starting with the two things that have sold from my shop.





Degu Relaxing Keychain keychain
Degu Relaxing Keychain by Fallen_Angel_483
Many more keychain designs at zazzle.com

9 comments:

  1. Fallen Angel, I enjoyed this post tremendously even at some moment I began to cry.

    I even began to think to bring home Degu but I have a cat and I am afraid that I would be not able to protect him or her. I hope I understood correct that the pictures you posted are the pictures of your beloved Degu. Am I right? lt is interesting and sad story at the same time. I can understand how lonely felt Chatterbox. I also tried to figure out what it meant " He would wake up turn over click his teeth then go back to sleep." Did he dream about something or wanted to tell you
    something? We will never know, we only can guess.

    I also was touched by how one day he didn't come out... Do you know I will always have memories of the last day of my first dog Shady. He was old, 14 years old and in his last day he came as usual for his morning work and never was able to get up again...

    FallenAngel, some day you should consider to writin a book about all animals you are taking care or took care.

    I think that you are a very kind and caring person. And it is so rare in our life.
    All my best to you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kaya I did feel quite sad when I finished writting but I think that is a good thing to still care about him. It was 2008 when he died so a while ago now.

    Yes the photos are of Chatterbox. In the one with the all white background the white in the bottom of his eye is a cateract. He wsn't blind but he did have some sight loss.

    Yes it might be a problem to have a small animal like a Degu if you have a cat. We have a lot of problems with cats coming into our garden and killing birds.

    He always looked so relaxed and calm when he would click his teeth so I think it was contentment or something like that, I hope so anyway.

    I have cared for so many animals at home, at college and at work. I have seen so many die and every time there is a great sadness. I think if I stopped feeling this way I would stop keeping animals. Even in nature I cannot walk past a creature that has been killed on the road without moving it into some bushes where it can rest in peace.

    I didn't have such a great time with other people when I was younger so I think I relate better to animals. If you treat an animal with love you will get that back from the animal and you cannot always say the same with people.

    I wish I could win the lottery one day so I could have enough money to start my own rescue centre for unwanted pets and for wildlife too. That would be my ultimate dream in life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's me again. I would like to share with you a one thing. I made a decision a few years ago to adapt only older dogs and gave them life.

    That is how my dog Tasha came to our home one year ago from one of animals shelters. Shady, a dog, came also from animal shelter. All my cats came from a shelter or from the street. And I agree with you completely that love can do many things. It can heal animals from depression, from fear and even from shyness...

    And Fallen Angel I think that would so great if you win a lottery and open a rescue centre for unwanted pets and for wildlife too. And I would be very happy to work with you. That would be a great learning experience for me....

    And I believe if you have a dream and believe that it will come true it will happen. I really believe that our thoughts have a great power to turn our dreams into reality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree Kaya and sometimes I even feel guilty when I buy from a pet shop instead of taking on a pet that is not wanted.

    It is truly wonderful that you take on older animals and give them some happiness.

    I have had lots of rescues over the years. One time I even gave a home to a rescued cockroach. I am sure most people would never do that.

    I hope by writting my blog people will find it and they might learn from me that all animals have a purpose and it is not right to kill the ones that frighten or annoy us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, you have a very good mission on Internet. Even if you will be able to change only one person's mind that would be great.

    All my best wishes to you, FallenAngel

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful blog.. nature is one of the most incredible things on earth!! visit my blog if you want to see my nature photos..:)

    http://t-m-eyes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter had 2 degus about 10 yrs.ago. They are so cute=) Enjoyed your post! it's the 1st one I've ever read on Degus..was beginning to wonder if most people even knew what they were lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a pleasant YouTube video it is! Awesome, I loved it, and I am sharing this YouTube record with all my colleagues.
    Dog & Puppy Training

    ReplyDelete
  9. A number of viewers are keen to watch comic video clips, but I like to watch terrible videos on YouTube.

    ---------------------------------
    Discount carpet

    ReplyDelete