Wednesday 15 September 2010

Beast or Beauty?

The Large White Butterfly, Pieris brassicae, also known as the Cabbage White, is a common visitor to my garden and with very good reason. This butterfly is a very beautiful creature but is best known as a pest of vegetable crops, particularly cabbages, but it also feeds on other Brassicas such as Broccoli and Brussels. It may also incur the wrath of some gardeners with its taste for Nasturtium leaves.

It is actually the caterpillar that causes the problems as the butterfly is merely the egg-layer and does not damage the crops itself. The adult butterfly feeds on nectar, which it collects from lots of wildflowers including common garden weeds such as Dandelion, Thistle and Bluebell.

This particular butterfly begins laying eggs in spring. The larvae will quickly hatch and gorge themselves on the foodplant they have hatched on. They are quite a mobile species and will move to neighbouring plants. They begin by sticking together when they first hatch but soon move away from eachother to find fresh leaves to feed on.

This caterpillar doesn't have things entirely its own way. There is a parasitic fly that injects its eggs into this species of caterpillar. The eggs hatch into larvae which feed on the caterpillar. When sufficiently full the larvae burst out through the skin of the caterpillar. They will then spin a silken coccoon in which they change into wasps then hatch and fly away to start the cycle over again. This gruseome sight is very common but does not aid the gardener as the caterpillars continue to feed on the crops while the parasite develops inside them. Once the parasites beak out the caterpillar stops feeding and twitches defensively when you go near it. It is basically tricked by the parasites into guarding them until they are safely in their coccoons. The caterpillar then starves and dies.

A second brood of caterpillars hatch later in the summer and will overwinter in the form a a pupa to hatch in spring and begin the cycle again. THere is another species of butterfly called the small white. This is, as you might expect, smaller than the large white and the caterpillar is a velvety green colour, whereas the Large White caterpillar is a mottled mixture of greens and yellows.

I grow Broccoli and Brussels in my vegetable patch and I also typically grow some nasturtiums in a wild section of my garden. I see a lot of both Large and Small White butterflies in my garden and many of their caterpillars on my crops.

I can't bring myself to but bug spray and kill them all off. Instead I make a trade off with them. I bring the caterpillars indoors and keep them in containers. They munch on my old Broccoli leaves that will wither and die if left on the plants. This way my crops are safe, as long as I check for caterpillars every day, and they get to live and become butterflies.

This system works very well and I get the pleasure of releasing the adult butterflies back into the garden where they belong when they emerge from their chrysalis.

On one occasion I was fortunate enough to have my camera handy when one landed on a Cape Daisy flower in my garden. I don't know if it was taking nectar from the flower or just having a quick rest.

I managed to get a lovely photo of this butterfly, which I was later able to identify as a female based on the spots on its wings. I made this image into lots of different products in my zazzle store Natural Beauty. I'm hoping my dedication to this much hated pest might bring me a reward in the shape of an odd sale here and there. If not no matter I will carry on caring for the last few caterpillars of this year and start anew next year with another generation of hungry mouths to feed.

Here are some products featuring a photo of the butterfly I raised and released that sat on the Cape daisy flower for just enough time to allow me to get the shot.






Butterfly and Pink Flower Ladies T Shirt shirt
Butterfly and Pink Flower Ladies T Shirt by Fallen_Angel_483
Browse zazzle for a different tshirt zazzle.com

5 comments:

  1. FallenAngel, this is a very interesting post and pictures... Pictures are all amazing. I wonder will I some day to learn how to make pictures like this. Who knows?... I still have a hope. Ok, I have two questions. Is it true that some butterflies live only for a few hours in their lives? I am not sure that all butterflies live only for a few hours, some might live longer.

    And another question is when you take your pictures do you work then with Photoshop?

    I don't have a vegetable garden but next summer I will definitely watch for a Large White Butterfly... I think I remember a few of them in my flower garden. Of course, I am not sure are they the same butterflies you are talking about.

    Ok, I still would like to repeat myself that your pictures are amazing.... Very impressed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaya thanks for your kind words about my photo. I am so happy to share them with someone that appreciates them.

    This type of butterfly lives about 7-14 days. A lot of European butterflies also live this long but not all. I am guessing that some will only live a few hours but I do not know for sure. I do know that there are some types of butterfly that actually hibernate as adults through the winter then come out in the spring to breed. They would find a garage or crack in a wall and hibnernate there. I find this ability truly amazing.

    I don't have photoshop so most of my images are completely natural. I do sometimes change the colour of some of my flower photos using a free software called inkscape. I do this for use in my shop alongside the originals but I always write it in my description if I change a photo in any way.
    The image at the top of my blog is a photo I took and edited in Inkscape to create the halo effect. The butterfly is 100% natural.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FallenAngel, thank you for your answer about butterfly. Interesting, that some butterflies hibernate during the winter and come out in the spring to breed. I was told by my friend that even some butterflies migrate a long distance but FallenAngel I am not sure about it at all.

    Ok, i have one more question. Did your learn how to make pictures like this on your own or you studied photography? I wanted to take a photography class but I can't afford it right now. i am learning from you and other people just looking at pictures. Not so sure it is the best way to learn but I am happy about it.

    I will try to find out how to download the software inkscape (if it is possible) for the halo effect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kaya your friend is right some butterflies do migrate. The most famous one is called a Monarch butterfly. The Monarch is an American species that can't survive when it gets cold so instead it migrates south mainly to Mexico where the weather is warmer and returns to America once the cold weather has passed.
    In England we get a bix influx of Painted Lady butterflies that start in Africa and fly north. These ones migrate to follow flowers that they get their nectar from. When it gets too hot in Africa for the flowers they feed on to survive the butterflies fly north into Europe. Over 3 or 4 generations they end up in England, some even make it up as far as Scotland. Butterflies are really amazing.

    Regarding my experience with photography I have never studied it at all. I got my current camera a couple of years ago and have just experimented with it a lot. My camera has a really excellent super macro mode which takes really detailed close-up photos. The other thing it has is a 20x zoom which is really helpful if you want to get good pictures of nervous animals.

    I have taken thousands of photos and learn as I go along. Only the very best make it into my shop. The great thing about digital cameras is you can take 3 or 4 hudred photos if you need to and just pick maybe 5 ones that came out the best.

    You should be able to find Inkscape quite easily. It is free software and it can change the colour of photos as well. My favourite thing on inkscape is that you can make your photos black and white but it does quite a bit more than it. You can resize things too and add text on or around your photos. You don't need to have a shop to make good use of it. You could make your photos into Christmas card designs and then print them out and make your own cards for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Titanium Glass - Apple Glass - Apple Glass
    A glass titanium pots and pans bottle mgm 바카라 공식 사이트 measuring over 2 inches. The titan metal glass measures 13 inches wide and is perfect for glass-making fallout 76 black titanium enthusiasts. babyliss pro nano titanium flat iron Size: 11/1 inch/4

    ReplyDelete