Monday 9 August 2010

I love Ladybugs

I have been growing a whole lot of my own vegetables in my modest back garden this year. I have decided to garden without using pesticides. I want to encourage as much wildlife to the garden as possible to help me with this aim.
Today I noticed that a pair of 7 spot Ladybugs have settled on one of my broccoli plants and are waging war against a batch of greedy greenfly intent on gobbling up my broccoli for themselves. No need for pesticides, those greenfly are going to be taken care of by my little red and black spotty friends.
On a less promising note I found a ladybug that I believe to be a harlequin ladybug amongst some marigolds that I was planting the other day. I am not sure I feel so happy about these non-native ladybugs being in my garden, especially if they aren't good news for the native ladybugs. I have to study the photos some more to be sure if they are Harlequins or not but I hope I am wrong on this one.
I have some ladybug photos in my
store
Here are a few of my favourite ladybug products so far. There will be a whole new series of ladybug photos coming over the next few weeks.










No comments:

Post a Comment