Sunday 1 August 2010

The tale of Horatio the Squirrel Part 2

After a few days with regular and prolonged sightings of "Horatio" at the bird table I noticed I was no longer able to get close enough with my camera to get a good photo. I was just hoping that this was the same squirrel and that it was recovering from its horrific injuries.
A couple of weeks went by and I was starting to think I would never know for sure whether my furry garden guest was indeed Horatio or just another local squirrel. Then, one day, I had the good fortune to spy a squirrel really close to the house. I dashed to get my camera. This time the squirrel was well within range of my zoom lens.
I managed to get a photo that confirmed to me that this squirrel was Horatio. Here is the photo I took, displayed on a customizable greeting card from my zazzle store
Natural Beauty

If you look closely you can see that the squirrel has a cloudy eye, the same eye that was badly injured. I think it is likely that poor Horatio may have lost the sight in that eye. The good news is that this brave little squirrel was feeding well and looked otherwise healthy.
That incident was a year ago now and I am happy to report that there are now two squirrels regularly visiting my garden. I hope to get another lucky break and get a photo to confirm that one of them is Horatio but so far he or she (can't tell which but it probably only matters to another squirrel), is proving very elusive and keeping a distance away from the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment